Local businesses are the backbone of the economy, not only for providing local employment and essential services, but to create a vibrant and sustainable local community. The world is gradually becoming increasingly dominated by chain store opticians, which usually tend to be designed to operate and appear similar. Independent opticians are were innovation happens and how things progress. Without this innovative nature, our industry would not be advancing at the rate it is.
1. Unique & Exclusive: These days there are numerous chain store opticians all over the UK which have been designed to be easily recognisable on local high streets. Small, independent opticians are a breath of fresh air in areas populated by generic stores and businesses. We help add character and uniqueness to the community which simply can’t be found anywhere else, as well as being able to offer more unique, high quality and exclusive services.
2. Saving Money & Safer: We are often led to believe that local shops and businesses are more expensive in comparison to the larger chain companies, however there is no evidence to back this up. If you were to add the cost of your time, travel and parking costs, you would often find the cost to be much higher. Safety is key, and Covid-19 has made us all want to try and be as safe as possible in order to prevent spreading the virus. Going to your local optician you will be avoiding having to travel a further distance and further exposing yourself.
3. Receiving The Personal Touch: The best thing about an independent optician is that they are run by people and not boards or stockholders, we are able to add our own character to the community with a warm, welcoming nature. Franchise opticians often have many people in their books, meaning there is a low chance of them remembering you personally, as well as your optical history. With your local independent opticians, you will love seeing the same familiar faces of the optical team, as well as getting to know your optometrist personally.
4. Economic Development: Spending money with a small business keeps your money in your local economy. Research shows that each £10 spent with a local independent shop means up to an additional £50 goes back into the local economy. As other nearby shop owners spend their money locally, this means the money is then put back into the local economy towards local shops, restaurants and opticians. To ensure a strong a sustainable local economic foundation, buying or using the services from local businesses such as an optician, will help to do so.
5. Employment Within The Community: Small, local businesses are the largest employer of jobs nationally and provide the most local jobs to communities. Helping to grow the number of jobs in your area makes for a better place to live and work, which then creates a healthy economy for the community.
6. Helping The Environment: This may seem surprising, however choosing your local opticians means having a positive impact on the environment. Your local opticians is only on your Highstreet, for most this means a short walk or even a bike ride away. Not using a car not only helps to reduce your carbon footprint, but to also reduce air pollution, traffic and improving the quality of your Highstreet.
7. Building The Community: The number one perk of using your local opticians is that you are supporting your local community, as well as putting money back into your community. Your values and desires as customers are much more influential to your local opticians in comparison to a generic chain store optician. Most local opticians are owned by people that live in the community and care about the community’s future.
Central Vision Opticians has been a part of The Finchley Central community for the past decade and have built numerous longstanding relationships with patients throughout the years. We are extremely proud to be part of the community and cherish our patients who not only live locally, but the many others who travel a distance for our services.
Since re-opening post lockdown, we have had many new and existing patients express the importance of being able to have a reputable and loyal optician close by, especially as so many do not wish to travel a distance during this time. The past few months have been unusual for everyone, and as we get back to the new normal, we believe this is an important time to stay united within our communities. Supporting your local opticians and other local businesses is a crucial way you can help the place you call home get back to normal.